The Charles Downing Lay gardens were commissioned by Edwin Lefevre in 1914. Lay, famous for his public parks initiatives and founding Landscape Architecture Magazine, created a Italiante garden in Dorset Vermont. Over 36 hand carved planters, benches and fountains were created specifically for this garden. In addition, a marble tea house and stone pergola enhance the formal gardens. Water is gravity fed and sent from the spring house down through the gardens to create a magic and old world presence rarely seen today.
Stacks of Marble blocks were abandoned in 1870 when the production quarry was closed down. The Sanford Quarry was the 4th largest quarry in Dorset. Today, the quarry is overrun with nature, waterfalls and hidden sculptures by our artists in residence.